[KLUG Advocacy] I love this kind of stuff ...

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Mon Apr 11 12:40:58 EDT 2005

>From: Adam Tauno Williams <adam at morrison-ind.com>
>

>>> I applaud this fellow.  If only there were an army of people like this,
>>> m$ would not go after these frivolous lawsuits.

Amen to that.  It's particularly encouraging that he won a legal battle
against a giant company without hiring his own lawyer!  Proof that it is
possible (albeit barely) for an intelligent non-lawyer to understand law.

>Nah, they'd just be more selective.  They'd sue the elderly or
>single-parents who don't have the time or energy to mount a defense, or
>the less educated (this guy could read and understand legal briefs).
>
>I'd like a simple law: If a publicly traded corporation wants to file a
>suit against an individual it has to pay the courts a $1,000,000 service
>fee which is not to be counted in any recoverable court/legal fees.

I rather like England's system.  If you file a suit and lose, YOU pay
the legal fees for the defense!  That might be a bit harsh on the other
side and scaring away lawsuits that are valid, but they don't have
problems with frivolous ones.  Maybe a middle ground where the plaintiff
only pays if the judge rules that the suit was stupid.

Canada has similar civil laws to ours, as far as I know, but they don't
have the same problems with silly lawsuits.  I have no idea how they
manage it.