[KLUG Advocacy] Gas Station Wi-Fi

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Tue Apr 19 13:49:35 EDT 2005

> >>I'm not surprised.  Maybe next time they can try to make a laptop ignite
> >>gasoline.  Or make a gas can explode by not setting it on the ground
> >>while filling.
> >Actually, that one's probably a lot more legit.  They mentioned in the
> >cell phone episode that most reported gas station fires were caused by
> >static spark between a grounded person and a non-grounded car (it's
> >sitting on rubber tires, which insulate).  If the planets align just
> >right, you could probably start a fire that way.
> It happens and has been documented at least a couple of times.  I have seen
> videos of it too (one of those 'reality' shows airing shocking events
> caught on video tape).

I don't doubt the gas can thing.  We used to buy diesel in a drum because you
could get the off-road discount (15%) by not putting it in a vehicle.  I'd
drive the 'truck' that had a wooden bed and a drum in the back, and I'd always
touch the spigot to the barrell before starting to dispense - and I frequently
got a little arc.  (The 'truck' was a 1919 Model-T Depot Hack, which was old
enough [obviously] that you could put a slow moving vehicle sign on the back
and the cops wouldn't bother you about being 14.  I drove all over in that
thing. :)

But the cell phone / laptop thing?  No way.