[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Mon Apr 25 10:47:49 EDT 2005

> Install: Flawless,  I had to pick a No ACPI from the SuSe CD boot menu,
> but after that everything just-worked.  It detected the sound, video,
> USB, everthing.  Video came up in 1280x1024x24b (rather suprising), and
> I clicked to enable 3D acceleration - that all just worked.

I've installed SuSE 9.3 on three workstations so far, and have the same
general impression as you - it just works.  My workstation at work,
home, and my old Toshiba laptop.

My first upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3 was a disaster, so I ran a fresh
install on the same machine, and every machine after that, with very
good results.

I did the install on my Toshiba laptop yesterday because I want to use
it for this week's presentation.  The install aborted the first two
times in different places, but finally completed the third time without
a problem.  I think the first two failures was because the laptop is
starting to become unstable hardware-wise.  (hence my new powerbook :)

The only issue was it didn't detect my monitor at home correctly, and I
had to go into yast and set the correct resolution and freq.  (easy)

> 	Restore: I copied my files as well
> as .evolution, .gnome2, .wine, .gnome2_private and the .gconf
> directories from my laptop before the battery went ka-put.

Same here, I kept my old home directories on all my workstations.
And just like you, everything worked when I logged into gnome.

I had to upgrade VMware to version 5 (which runs fine) because 4.5
wouldn't compile it's modules under SuSE 9.3.

I haven't tried beagle yet, but hope to sometime soon.

BTW, I'd like to see a presentation on WINE running IE6 and WM7.  :-)

> 	Best and easiest install yet;  total time, probably about 20 minutes,
> and I'm back to real work.

Pretty much!

 - BS