[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Mon Apr 25 16:30:57 EDT 2005

> >as .evolution, .gnome2, .wine, .gnome2_private and the .gconf
> >directories from my laptop before the battery went ka-put.  I also
> >enabled beagle (via touch /home/awilliam/.runbeagle).  Then I logged
> >into GNOME.
> Ok, I'm still a bit of a newbie where desktop linux is concerned, but
> what the hell is beagle?

The universal unified desktop search tool that everyone from Microsoft, to
Google, to Apple has been promising for the last couple of years.

And it is here, now, if you run GNOME.  Users of those other platforms will just
have to keep on waiting for their vendors to deliver.

I type in "openldap" and see all my documents that mention openldap: office
files, presentations, IM conversations, e-mails and even images and audio files
if their meta-data mentions "openldap".  And I have the results before my finger
is even off the enter key.  And it runs in the panel and remembers my last dozen
or so searches.  Very nice.