[KLUG Advocacy] A quick SuSe 9.3 As A Workstation Review

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Apr 25 20:58:17 EDT 2005

> > Best and easiest install yet;  total time, probably about 20 minutes,
> > and I'm back to real work.
> Pretty much!

Of course, some people disagree -
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22756

But when you second paragraph is -
"Windows has its hold on home users because it is easy to install, there
are few things that can go wrong, and if they do the average person can
work out what to do."
 - how much credibility can you give this?

And I really get heated up by -
"Not included in this list was a Suse flagship product, called Beagle
which is supposed to search your hard drive and keep track of things for
you.  How new users will know to look for this program if it is not
installed in the default settings is beyond me."
 - when *I* new how to enable Beagle because the install procedure put
it right up on the screen, and you need to click "Next" to go onto the
next phase.  How is a moron like this who doesn't even read the screen
supposed to be able to make anything work?

The secret: "touch $HOME/.runbeagle"  Beagle is theoretically not
stable, so it isn't enabled by default, again, as stated right in the
install process.