[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Decency Standards for Open Source

Kevin Wixson kevin at wixsonit.com
Mon Aug 8 17:23:00 EDT 2005

If anyone missed what this is all about, I posted the Digg.com link to
my article in the members list, and Bruce wanted to move it over here.
Please be sure to click the "Dig it " link at digg.com for my article so
I can get the article promoted to the front page. I think I'll need
around 50 or so digs to get it up there.

http://digg.com/technology/Decency_Standards_for_Open_Source

Bruce:

Thank you for your feedback and I have to say that in everything you
said I agree with you. Yet I am still convinced that in the case of
OCAL, at least, an open submission policy would sink the ship.

It is a difficult question to deal with. In this age of globalization
the problem is especially vexing. But as I suggested in the article,
there is a way to deal with fanatics, which is to ignore them -- a
solution you have (IMO, rightfully) employed with Devil Linux up to now
and which the restaurant likely failed to do by caving into what was
probably a very small but vocal minority.

Community is hard to define, and believe me I know how difficult it is
to ever reach a decision in committee. I have tried it with working on
boards of community organizations, and I can safely say I'm cured. It
was without bringing my personal prejudice into it that I included
"community" in making such decisions. What I really think is that all
open source projects should have top-down management just like
commercial ones, and that the small group of managers making the
decisions should set the standard. Let them decide what "fanatic" means,
and what their vision of the project should be. If they get it wrong,
then a competing project will eventually win out.

The "blanding" of our culture is a serious problem. It bugs me too, and
I have an even better example for you. Schools. Tests and textbooks, in
particular. The standard has become such a high bar there that kids
can't stand to study because there's nothing interesting about the
material, and nothing the kids can relate to. This is a place in our
culture where the small and vocal minorities, the fanatics, have had too
much say. But the reasons why the "blanding" of texts is wrong, isn't
just that they're boring. There are two major reasons.

1.) What I call the business reason. The books are so bland that kids
are having a hard time learning. The purpose of the product is being
adversely affected by the high level of censorship.

2.) Small centralized authority with control over a broad domain of
expression. I touched on this in the article.

Trying to keep this short(er) so let me just wrap up by saying...

I hope my article conveyed the idea that what I'm recommending is a
Taoist, middle road, approach to dealing with decency. It's okay to
offend the fringes, as their needs are still attended to, and the price
of their fanaticism is extra work and expense in finding what they need.
What I'm aiming at is just to move people towards a consensus that some
censorship is necessary and good, and excessive censorship is bad and to
be avoided. If we can agree on that, then we've made progress.

-Kevin