[KLUG Advocacy] Google launches...... Jabber

awilliam at whitemice.org awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Aug 26 15:19:12 EDT 2005

> I'm having problem's getting wine to work .. so that little project
> is belayed for the moment.  Maybe someone could do a presentation on
> wine?

Ha!  That one has been requested many times.  The problem is that WINE
is almost
black magick.  I'd try installing the "sernet" WINE since that makes Internet
Explorer, Windows Media Player, and *most* of Office do something sort of like
work.  How?  Why?  No clue.  The link is in the list archive somewhere.

> Perhaps what I should have said more accurately, was that my specific
> chat client, gaim, doesn't provide me with any option to voice
> connect via google, so I am not certain that my statement regarding
> using ONLY Google's chat client is true.  Do you have any suggestions
> regarding other clientswe may try?  Or shall I move to restoring a
> winders image and start sniffing?

Someone has already sniffed it.  The sad truth is that no Open Source client
will probably every be able to support the Google chat voice thing - they are
using the G.721 codecs.  Google must be paying a fortune in royalty fees.  It
doesn't mean other clients won't implement voice capability, but not
compatible
with the Google client.