[KLUG Advocacy] ESR: the GPL is holding back open source

Jamie McCarthy jamie at mccarthy.vg
Fri Jul 1 16:29:07 EDT 2005

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/01/1210258&tid=95&tid=8&tid=106

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/30/esr_interview.html

    "We don't need the GPL anymore. It's based on the belief that
    open source software is weak and needs to be protected. Open
    source would be succeeding faster if the GPL didn't make lots
    of people nervous about adopting it."

    "It's 2005, not 1985. We've learned a lot in the last 20
    years. The fears that originally led to the reciprocity stuff
    in GPL are nowadays, at least in my opinion, baseless."
--
  Jamie McCarthy
 http://mccarthy.vg/
  jamie at mccarthy.vg