[KLUG Advocacy] Apple using Intel chips ...

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Jun 10 14:08:06 EDT 2005

> > Have you checked out Gentoo MacOS and Fink? You might be able to get
> > Evolution running. There was an app that actually was a desktop
> > switcher for Panther. Not sure if it's 100% Tiger-compatible or not.
> > It did everything you'd expect it to do, all with nifty 3D-
> > accelerated transitions, a-la Exposé.
> I found a 1.4 version of Evolution, but I didn't even try it.
> I'm currently spoiled by version 2.2.1.

Yep, evolution is a killer app.  And once the EDS/EPlugin attachments
and integration start rolling in....

> I was thinking of buying a Mac-mini for home before the CPU change
> announcement, now I'm thinking I'll wait for x86, or a really good
> clearance sale on the PPC stuff.  :-)
> What's everyone else thinking on that subject?

I'm hoping for a fire-sale on PPC stuff,  I'll pick one up then.  But I
actually expect Apple will take measures to prevent that happening;
they seem like the kind of company that wants end-to-end control of what
their stuff is selling for.

> Seems like that kind of thinking could really hurt Apple in the short term.  (as Cringley
> mentioned in his article)

Agree, that I think is his most valid point.