[KLUG Advocacy] Impressions of SuSe 10

Bruce Smith bruce at armintl.com
Wed Nov 2 08:21:01 EST 2005

> > > Haven't seen that one yet, but I've only logged-in-out about a half
> > > dozen times.
> > One message I found while google'ing  sort of implied that it only
> > happens if you have your focus setting to "follows mouse" (my setting).
> > I haven't had a chance to verify if that's true or not.
>
> My focus is follows-mouse (and has been for just the other side of a
> decade).  If I use a platform where I have to click-to-focus I sprout a
> snout and body hair and begin biting people's limbs off - it is *SO*
> frustrating..... grrrr... I just want to type into THAT window without
> THIS window going away... Ahhhhhhhhhh!
>
> I have strong feelings on the focus issue. :)

I also use follows-mouse and hate click-to-focus.  I was "forced" to try
follows-mouse a decade ago when we got our new MRP/ERP software.  It has
a bug that new windows popup without focus (in click to focus mode), but
if you have follows-mouse set, and the window appears under your
pointer, then it has focus.  So we switched everyone.  Once you get used
to follows-mouse, it's really hard to go back.

BTW, there is a bug in follows-mouse mode in metacity in 10.0, which
effects our ERP package (don't know what else).  Even when the window
appears under the pointer, it doesn't get focus as it's supposed to.

I found some mention of the bug while google'ing, and it mentioned the
windows-switcher applet problem in the same paragraph, which made me
wonder if the two problems are connected.  Don't know ...

> > > Ick!
> > Yup.
>
> I had the window switcher app crash once on logging in but a friendly
> box popped up asking me if I wanted to reload it and then everything
> resumed as normal.

Yeah, that happens when it loops and you have to kill it too.

However sometimes it doesn't reload correctly and I have to reload it
again.  Other times the reload works fine ...

> > > Users?!  Screw 'em! :)
> > Except they call me complaining they can't log in!  :-)
>
> Yea, there is that.
>
> > I think I'm going to have to switch them to KDE until this gets fixed.
>
> Oh, man.  You really do hate your users.

I use them to beta test window managers for me.  :-)

 - BS