[KLUG Advocacy] Gmail for domains - review.

Andrew Thompson apthmpsn at imagerie.com
Wed Apr 5 20:42:36 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 09:58 -0400, Bruce Smith wrote:
> This isn't directly Linux related, so I'm sending to advocacy.
>
> I've been reading about the google beta to host email for domains.  And
> after reading this review:  http://utlemming.blogstream.com/
> I applied for my personal domain's email to be hosted on google.
> The main disadvantage I see is they don't [currently?] offer IMAP, but
> this may not be that big of deal, due to gmail's philosophy of archiving
> your email instead of deleting it.  You can configure gmail to archive,
> instead of delete, your email as it's downloaded via POP3.

Bear in mind that Google might be ordered to turn over all that email,
including "deleted" items, if this story is any indication:

http://news.com.com/Police+blotter+Judge+orders+Gmail+disclosure/2100-1047_3-6050295.html?tag=nefd.top

That might or might not be a problem for some people, but it's worth
knowing.

--
Andrew Thompson <apthmpsn at imagerie.com>
The Imagerie (www.imagerie.com)