[KLUG Advocacy] Freaky / Interesting experience with yahoo maps

greenproc greenproc at charter.net
Tue Feb 7 15:43:56 EST 2006

John Bridleman wrote:
> * greenproc (greenproc at charter.net) wrote:
>
>>When looking up directions to a location within downtown kalamazoo, I
>>specified the street and zip of the location along with just the zip for
>> my "from" location at <maps.yahoo.com>.
>

> When you go to maps.yahoo.com does it show that your logged in? In other words, do you have a yahoo account?

I was not logged into maps.yahoo.com; perhaps you are referring to
'personalized preferences' at work here -- this is not the case.  I do
have a yahoo account, and I am logged into their im service using gaim.
 I never provided any sort of personally identifying information to them
-- if they have my address it is ill gotten from data-mining techniques
and/or unauthorized information sharing from 3rd parties.

I would be very much interested to see others perform the same "test"
and report their findings.  Thanks.