[KLUG Advocacy] Will Malware Kill Windows?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jan 5 22:07:48 EST 2006

Here is an article from a guy who thinks it is malware that will drive
the masses to Linux.

http://allyourtech.com/content/news/05_01_2006_the_windows_wmf_exploit_could_be_the_last_wake_up_call_microsoft_and_others_get.php

Personally I don't have much hope from getting the masses of Windows;
but I am getting *LOTS* of agony vibes from my users who have computers
at home.  Lately I can't walk into the lunch room to reheat my coffee
without someone telling my how their home computer is trashed or if I
can help them fix their computer (No!).   We have sufficient insulation
via scanners, proxies, and policies that our internal systems are pretty
much unaffected by all that.

Is it really that bad out there?

Of course the hard core Open Source advocates are going to do advocacy
with whatever club they can find; they can sometimes make FOX pundits
look creditable.   I'm curious about a non-pundit "yes, I am a
intelligent but non-uber-techy person who uses Windows in a normal
(unshielded by corporate powers) environment" opinions