[KLUG Advocacy] A user leaves....

rels advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:07:51 -0400

Bruce Smith wrote on Thursday, July 11, 2002 11:31 AM

> > I believe the author of the article has had almost exclusive
exposure
> > to personal computers, and he writes very much from that point of
view.

> I'll buy that, and I believe that makes up the majority of computer
> users in this day and age.  Those of us with multi-decade experience
> with mainframes are in the extreme minority.

I also buy that as well.  Hey, Bruce are you refering to us "older
fahrt's" as being like dinosaurs ... almost extinct?  ;>))

> Does that mean that Linux is not ready for this type of user, since
he
> went back to windows?

No, at this juncture, while Linux is not perfect, I don't think its a
case of it is not being ready.   I believe this user is not ready for
Linux in terms of making the commitment to delve a little bit deeper
and educate himself by doing the necessary things that RGB and others
have mentioned.  It takes work ... no doubt about it ... to understand
Linux conceptually and how all things play together.  Even if he
doesn't delve into it deeper, once installed, Linux is a heck of a lot
stabler than Windows.  As RGB pointed out he seems to have some "other
things" going that required a little more in-depth knowledge to
implement.  Perhaps, it is more of a case, he is too lazy or just
doesn't want to expend the time and energy required or seek the help
that is sometimes necessary.  I truly don't know, but he seems a bit
too indicative of a lot of today's users who want the world without
trying to understand the implications of it once he has it.  These
people can be dangerous ;>))  M$ ain't the answer ... he's just
probably more familiar with it (just a guess).  And we all know he's
probably spent a lot of time learning why his mouse and MS system
locked up or other such muance problems.