[KLUG Advocacy] A user leaves....

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:35:32 -0400

>> I do think it means that he was predisposed to going back to Windows if he
>> was going to go anywhere. Many have a desire to return to their roots when
>> something else doesn't work out.
>Yes, back to the hole little mole..
Now, now... be nice! :)
To him, it's clearly a warm and fuzzy hole. It feels like home, or the
womb. Please not that I have no real desire to go back to a 2741 Selectric
terminal, or an 029 cardpunch....

>Sometimes I feel that way too, though.  I have been deep in trenches
>with deployed Windows networks/workstations since 3.1....
Yeah, I hear a lot of that. I've never been deeply oriented toward any
particular platform, OS, window manager, look and feel, keyboard, type
of mouse, etc. It's all sorta the same to me... I guess the newest one
(to me, that week) takes some getting used to, and sometimes the learning
curve is a little steep (like getting the hang of Cyrillic keyboards),
but it all works out with a little persistance.

I've always been more or less focused on the problem at hand, not the
external apperence or behavior... unless THAT was the problem. The point
is that I don't let these things inhibit me, or slow me down. Maybe I'm
lucky in that regard, other people seem to have real problems with these
things.

>I started using myself around 1998. Now is the first time, though, that
>I am trying to use it as a desktop replacement.  In the past month I
>have converted my work machine so that nearly all of my time and work is
>on the Linux side.  Applications like evolution and nautilus really help
>make that happen....
Yeah, I understand that. I started using Linux as a desktop OS in 1997, and
really never looked back or gave it a lot of thought. I have an NT box here,
mostly to move stuff over to MS environments when customers request it,
which has not been very often, but it happens. Again, this is all personal
experience. The author of that articlereported trouble with RH 5.2... now,
I've been running (and hacking at) RH 5.2 since it came out. One box here
is STILL RUNNING it, and has been up now for 299 days, 21 hours, and 45
minutes... so much for problems with that distro! :)

>Now is certainly not the time to run back to M$, with the committments
>they are trying to get with the subscription model...
Right, and Wallet, AND PALLADIUM, along with similar ideas to take over
the net, the Planet, the Milky Way, etc....

>Gates is the AntiChrist!!
Oh, pul-eeze!! Let's put an end to this Antichrist talk! Here's why:

   - Gates is just a regular guy who struck it VERY rich, maybe a bit
     unfairly, but life ain't real fair anyhow.
     So stop calling him the antichrist!
     It doesn't help our cause, and it only pisses people off.

       or

   - Gates IS really the Anticrhist, in which case calling him this
     WILL NOT HELP!! We are DOOMED!!
     So use the energy for something else, ok?
:)

>(Ok, I know he can't be, but maybe a subordinate of..)
That's better! :)

							Regards,