[KLUG Advocacy] A user leaves....

randy perry advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
11 Jul 2002 10:41:52 -0500

> I do think it means that he was predisposed to going back to Windows if he
> was going to go anywhere. Many have a desire to return to their roots when
> something else doesn't work out.
Yes, back to the hole little mole..
Sometimes I feel that way too, though.  I have been deep in trenches
with deployed Windows networks/workstations since 3.1 and Lantastic.  I
had friends try to get me to start using Linux back in 1995.  I let
opportunities pass me up as I stuck with M$.

I started using myself around 1998. Now is the first time, though, that
I am trying to use it as a desktop replacement.  In the past month I
have converted my work machine so that nearly all of my time and work is
on the Linux side.  Applications like evolution and nautilus really help
make that happen.  Everything is not perfect, though.  But I see this as
an opportunity to learn more.  I really try not to turn back and take
the easy way out, but like when the HP4550 laserjet doesn't print in
color, I will flip to the WinXP side to print.  Then I will come back to
Linux though, to try and work things out.

Now is certainly not the time to run back to M$, with the committments
they are trying to get with the subscription model.  I wouldn't be
surprised if the Passport method not only tracked credit card/email but
also license numbers.  Passport will migrate to an embedded ID.  Then to
use WinXP you would have to have have the "Mark of Bill"  (oh, and not
in a Monica Lewinski way) on your forehead.  Gates is the AntiChrist!!

(Ok, I know he can't be, but maybe a subordinate of..)

Randall Perry
www.domain-logic.com
www.fasnap.com
www.Davenport.edu