[KLUG Advocacy] A User Leaving

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
14 Jul 2002 18:30:58 -0400

>>Let me end my rant by saying I hope you guys know I'm on your side.  I
>>like Linux on my desktop and my wife likes her win98 and my dad likes
>>linux on a server he does not use and 2000,98,XP on his other three
>>machines.  I'm OK with that.  The community will not succeed at some of
>>these conversions unless mindsets change dramatically.  I truly can
>>empathize with the writers position.
>I have a little less empathy for the writer because I think he made some
>tragic (and reasonably obvious) mistakes.  I could easily list "10
>things wrong with Linux" and hardly a one of his problems would show
>up.  Package management for one example.  That is one problem the
>community has solved, at least better than one any other platform (be it
>Mac, AIX, or Win32).  And it was something he cited.

There is a list of "10 worst at" -
http://people.trustcommerce.com/~adam/top10/wrong.html

I don't agree with the list completely but it is more specific than the
"user leaving" article.

1. No 'best' browser.

Maybe,  I don't have the problem with fonts that he reports.

2. Prompting for a filesystem scan.

Nope, use a journalized file system.

3. Printing needs to be easier to configure.

Yes.

4. Make it easy for the user to find out how to do things.

Yep,  see previous rant.

5. Cleaner redraws.

Again, I don't experience this problem.

6. Die stray processes, die!

Oh, yes!

7. Easy way of sharing files.

Yep.

8. Sound support.

Hmmm,  I'm not an expert on this.  Sound works fine for me.

9. No common editor which supports "soft wrapping."

joe?

10. No easy way to configure X - especially change resolution on the
fly.

Yes,  this is resolved in XFree4.2 I'm told.  Including some support for
on-the-fly resolution changes.