[KLUG Advocacy] Silly notion -- Silly? Or reversing the past "dumping"?

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
06 Jun 2002 20:10:05 -0400

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 19:51, bob@acm.org wrote:
> Is probably impractical. MS would NEVER sell the source to anyone
> without a restriction against third-party sales or release.

I would agree, although the US Gov't _may_ make it enough of a price
that Microsoft couldn't refuse.  And who knows, Microsoft could just
turn around and release a new version that wasn't licensed and market it
as:  "hey, this is the new 'XML' version!"  ;-P

> Nader is audacious enough to release it, and fight MS in the courts?
> Perhaps, but IMO he's smarter than that (perhaps, or maybe smart
> enough!)....

Well, I don't like the idea of the government going in and taking
something against _any_ entity's will -- including companies.  But MS
Office is the #1 "dumped" product of _all_time_.  It might be justified,
even if my Libertarian ideas conflict with that viewpoint.

Damn that's one for the debating table.  ;-P

-- Bryan

--
The community has created the fastest, most standards-compliant
web browser with extensive popup, cookie and privacy management.