[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Advocacy digest, Vol 1 #11 - 1 msg

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
07 May 2002 06:27:00 -0400

>>Cell coverage has also shown a pretty strong correlation to the racial
>>demographics of a neighborhood, another problem.
>I'd have to agree. Seems that on the west side of the county I can't
>get cell coverage to save my soul. I wonder why the cell companies are
>biased against poor white trash?
>If, on the other hand, your implying that cell coverage is biased against
>minorities then I'd have to disagree.

I'm not implying.  Whatever series of studies determined that,  but I
assume they were looking at places like LA, NY, etc...  since most
studies are.  This was also at least several years ago.  That a strong
correlation between affluence and cell-phone coverage exists seems
pretty obvious, at least to me.

I don't think any of the 'universal access' clauses apply to wireless
(yet).  I could be wrong.

>My experience is that the
>minorities are congregated in urban areas where cell coverage is the
>greatest.

True, but in places like KZ and GR, the downtown "sprawl" is what?  A
couple of miles (maybe).  Pretty easy to blanket all of that with
coverage.