[KLUG Advocacy] Re: "Big media" and the laws they pass that destroys everyone's freedom -- Libertarianism

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:57:57 -0500 (EST)

Quoting "Robert G. Brown" <bob@acm.org>:
> Some people don't think of that as a "rpoblem". In a way,
> government is the sum of all special interests. The issue is
> how those of us without ready access to the resources of the
> rich become as special interest.

Exactomundo.  Hence the result is you don't in most cases.

> Please stop simplifying past the point where all this becomes
> meaningless.

Actually, _everything_ is simple.  It's when it is "compounded" with other
factors is that when people find things "complex."

Special relativity is a perfect example.  Very simple concept of position with
time which becomes complex when you try to calculate all the inter-relationships.

Economics is yet another.  The "money multiplier" and "discretionary income" are
two simple things to understand, yet it is _totally_ignored_ by most people when
they think "higher taxes = more money."

> I'm not interested in what anything "basically" is, and I've been
> politically active longer than you've been on this earth.

That doesn't necessarily mean you know more, it just means you've experienced
more.  In many cases, the latter does mean you have more of the former.  But
sometimes self-interest and, more importantly, self-preservation can affect
that.  And pride can destroy any common sense.

> Not at all, but apparently this won't stop you ...

Okay, that was a simplification there.  I understand there _are_ some "good"
special interest groups out there.  I would argue the ACLU and NRA are very
important for the American people.

But I'm talking more of the "heathcare, immigration, social services" stuff that
really puts "Liberals" in an emotion-based, but very irresponsible spotlight.

> But it stops me. I am not going to take the time or energy to refute you
> in detail, and you've taken this so far off topic and out of context that
> it serves nothng at all to reeply in detail.
> Can we have the next poster, please? :)

Gotta love ya Bob.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA