[KLUG Advocacy] Ah, back to OS talk -- WAS: Akron, Buffalo run Windows

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
16 Oct 2002 10:20:25 -0400

--=-UOvhdeSaHTJIZGHYBiJc

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 07:47, Adam Williams wrote:
> Maybe, but Novell sucks.  Until of course they release the inevitable
> Novell Linux Server Edition,  then Novell will rock!  And when they port
> NDS to OpenLDAP + IBM SLAPI (ITS#2073) I might actually consider using
> their products.

Novell almost went Linux back in 1994, but decided to buy UNIX System
Labs (USL) aka "System V UNIX" instead.

That's when Ray Noorda broke off from Novell and started Caldera.

If Novell would have delivered Linux with NDS by 1995, they'd still have
a server stronghold.

Instead, NetWare 6 is a hodgepodge of DOS, X-Windows, BSD UNIX, Apache
and other stuff, losing marketshare everyday.  So what if Novell is
finally moving to Linux, Microsoft now has all its services _requiring_
ActiveDirectory, so it's hard to get people to "switch back" now.

And Caldera is bungling around like a lost boy.

> Woo Hoo! Nice to see someone actually still uses Irix.  Given SGI's
> financials I was starting to wonder if they had any users left.

SGI was just plain stupid.  They entered the NT market for two years --
DUMB!

> If they use Mac OS wouldn't they win all home games but loose all games
> held at someone else's stadium?

He he he, maybe.

> I'm terrified of Bob, and I think Tisch is a god.  Huh, this coffee
> smells funny...

All I remember is that I got a scathing last time around, and didn't
even _know_ until _someone_else_ told me after-the-fact!  ;-P

Didn't want to be part of such an "anal" group.  But the UCF @ WMU game
brought up KLUG again in my mind, so I thought I'd come back.  Now that
some people are no longer officers, I rest easier.

We had the same problem at LEAP here in Orlando, but that wasn't nearly
as bad.  ;-P

> I think I've seen that MAC on a Linksys card!

No, Linksys cards have ...
   0E:lC:he:ap:oN:IC

--=20
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA
           limit      guilt   =3D     { psychopath,
         remorse->0                    innocent }

--=-UOvhdeSaHTJIZGHYBiJc

--=-UOvhdeSaHTJIZGHYBiJc--