[KLUG Advocacy] Ah, back to OS talk -- WAS: Akron, Buffalo run Windows

advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:16:40 -0400

>>Maybe, but Novell sucks.  Until of course they release the inevitable
>>Novell Linux Server Edition,  then Novell will rock!  And when they port
>>NDS to OpenLDAP + IBM SLAPI (ITS#2073) I might actually consider using
>>their products.
>Novell almost went Linux back in 1994, but decided to buy UNIX System
>Labs (USL) aka "System V UNIX" instead.

"System V".  I saw that in a text book once.

>Instead, NetWare 6 is a hodgepodge of DOS, X-Windows, BSD UNIX, Apache
>and other stuff, losing marketshare everyday.  So what if Novell is
>finally moving to Linux, Microsoft now has all its services _requiring_
>ActiveDirectory, so it's hard to get people to "switch back" now.

Two words "public schools".  The ones I've been to are wed to Novell with the
ferocity of a zealot.

>And Caldera is bungling around like a lost boy.

As always.  Any company that would name itself after volcanic cones so large
they can only be recognized via satellite images is bound to explode.

>>Woo Hoo! Nice to see someone actually still uses Irix.  Given SGI's
>>financials I was starting to wonder if they had any users left.
>SGI was just plain stupid.  They entered the NT market for two years --
>DUMB!

I remember that, back when UNIX performance review was actually a hard copy
magazine.  Gee, we sell hardware.  Lets push software that runs on commodity
hardware.....  Can we say "Business Model"

>Didn't want to be part of such an "anal" group.

Geeks that aren't anal?!  You've got to be kidding.  Applications with sloppy
object models keep me up at night.