[KLUG Advocacy] Interesting . . .

randall perry advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:42:35 -0200

> >Best Buy offers no alternative OS...
>They sell RH, SuSe, and Mandrake Linux in Portage, probably in other places.
Disconnect from my brain to the keyboard.  I meant preinstalled on
PCs.  The OSs that line the shelves are shelved next to higher level
software. <joe somebody> "So, does this RedHat run on Windows, or do I need
to upgrade to XP. " </joe>

> ><rant> A necessary evil is to have salesmen (and marketing).  I despise
> >the "hey, your whats happening!" salesman BS.  Salesmen only suck oxygen
> >that could be used by thinking humans or by internal combustion
> >engines.</rant>
>
>Now, now, Randy... get a grip. What did any salesman ever do to you that there
>is such hostility? You might not (cough) value sales and marketing people
>very much, but they do serve a couple of functions. Some of the most respected
>people in the Linux community, are, in a strong sense, marketing people. You
>might not see it that way, but it's true nonetheless.
I mispoke, salesmen are not necessary (salespeople are, though)
I would argue that there is a strong difference between someone who is good
at marketing and is a salesman.  Marketing and Sales are necessary evils
like any indirect labor in an organization.  I would also hardline between
salesperson and salesman. I used to have an insurance license and
securities licensing for financial products, but I was by no means an
"insurance salesman".  The title of 'Salesmen' (not salesperson or
saleswoman) constitutes a set of "me first" scuples and lack of mores
(more-AYES) and not a job title.  It is the person that tells you what
(they think) you want to hear.  Whatever it takes to make them look good or
push them up.  It doesn't turn off when they go home either. That is what
comes to my mind when I say "salesman".
Sorry, long tangent.   If you can't tell I have 2 people really rubbing me
the wrong way right now.  1 at work and 1 in the family tree.  They both
have the "salesman" characteristics and are very manipulative and
deceptive. FRUSTRATING!

> >>Bobs point is right:  when it doesn't work it isn't M$ standing about
> >>waving there arms.  It is a pack of MCSEs.
> >Yes, and they are "certified" with the stamp of approval of Microsoft.
> >Certified Angus Beef.
>Which, with some horseradish sauce and asparagus, is *very* good!
It is indeed!

Randall Perry