[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
10 Sep 2002 10:57:50 -0400

> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/10/0259252
>
> An interesting article that claims Linux "desktops" now outnumber Mac desktops.
>  While "desktop" is a squishy term, and all such numbers are dubious, it is
> intriguing that anyone would even make such a claim.
>
> My impression has been that Apple actually pushed back into some space they had
> lost to Linux with OS X.  I can think of a couple of people that applies to
> (obviously ancedotal) and I don't know anyone within the last 4-5 months that
> has moved from Win or Mac to a Linux desktop.  Am I that out of touch or am I
> missing something (LTSP deployments ramping up the numbers, etc...)?

Mac OS-X is a great step forward for Apple, and I'm sure it's helped
their numbers.  However, the reason I'm not surprised by this article's
findings, is the hardware issue.

The last time I looked PC hardware was still cheaper than Mac Hardware,
and there is just SO MUCH old/used/excess PC hardware available
(compared to excess Mac hardware), Linux is a lot easier for a new user
to "try out" a *nix based OS for the first time.  And it's also cheaper
to add corporate desktops via the Linux/PC-hardware route.

The other hardware factor is comfort.  Since a lot more people have a
higher comfort knowledge with PC style hardware, that makes the change
less severe.  And we all know what most users think of "change".  :-)

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/