[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
11 Sep 2002 21:49:29 -0400

>>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/10/0259252
>>An interesting article that claims Linux "desktops" now outnumber Mac desktops.
>>While "desktop" is a squishy term, and all such numbers are dubious, it is
>>intriguing that anyone would even make such a claim.
>>My impression has been that Apple actually pushed back into some space they had
>>lost to Linux with OS X.  I can think of a couple of people that applies to
>>(obviously ancedotal) and I don't know anyone within the last 4-5 months that
>>has moved from Win or Mac to a Linux desktop.  Am I that out of touch or am I
>>missing something (LTSP deployments ramping up the numbers, etc...)?
>Mac OS-X is a great step forward for Apple, and I'm sure it's helped
>their numbers.  However, the reason I'm not surprised by this article's
>findings, is the hardware issue.
>The last time I looked PC hardware was still cheaper than Mac Hardware,
>and there is just SO MUCH old/used/excess PC hardware available
>(compared to excess Mac hardware), Linux is a lot easier for a new user
>to "try out" a *nix based OS for the first time.  And it's also cheaper
>to add corporate desktops via the Linux/PC-hardware route.
>The other hardware factor is comfort.  Since a lot more people have a
>higher comfort knowledge with PC style hardware, that makes the change
>less severe.  And we all know what most users think of "change".  :-)

Good point, I hadn't though about the hardware issue.  But how much of
the market do builders/re-builders make up?  Sure they make lots of
noise but I've always figured they were sub 2%, maybe sub 1%, of desktop
users.

But your right that it is easy to try on Intel hardware.