[KLUG Advocacy] Linux Outpacing Macintosh On Desktops

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
11 Sep 2002 22:26:17 -0400

> >>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/10/0259252
> >>An interesting article that claims Linux "desktops" now outnumber Mac desktops.
> >>While "desktop" is a squishy term, and all such numbers are dubious, it is
> >>intriguing that anyone would even make such a claim.
> >>My impression has been that Apple actually pushed back into some space they had
> >>lost to Linux with OS X.  I can think of a couple of people that applies to
> >>(obviously ancedotal) and I don't know anyone within the last 4-5 months that
> >>has moved from Win or Mac to a Linux desktop.  Am I that out of touch or am I
> >>missing something (LTSP deployments ramping up the numbers, etc...)?
> >Mac OS-X is a great step forward for Apple, and I'm sure it's helped
> >their numbers.  However, the reason I'm not surprised by this article's
> >findings, is the hardware issue.
> >The last time I looked PC hardware was still cheaper than Mac Hardware,
> >and there is just SO MUCH old/used/excess PC hardware available
> >(compared to excess Mac hardware), Linux is a lot easier for a new user
> >to "try out" a *nix based OS for the first time.  And it's also cheaper
> >to add corporate desktops via the Linux/PC-hardware route.
> >The other hardware factor is comfort.  Since a lot more people have a
> >higher comfort knowledge with PC style hardware, that makes the change
> >less severe.  And we all know what most users think of "change".  :-)
>
> Good point, I hadn't though about the hardware issue.  But how much of
> the market do builders/re-builders make up?  Sure they make lots of
> noise but I've always figured they were sub 2%, maybe sub 1%, of desktop
> users.
>
> But your right that it is easy to try on Intel hardware.

Yeah, it's just a possibility that crossed my mind.  I don't know how
much effect it really has on things overall.

Personally I don't put too much stock in those numbers anyway.  It seems
like it'd be very difficult to make number of Linux estimates since it's
free and legal to copy.  What are the going by?  Results about browser
info from web server logs?  Even that isn't very accurate since some
browsers allow you to forge the ID string (i.e.  Opera on Linux lets you
say your running IE on windows to trick some web sites into working).
And what web sites are they sampling these logs from?  Certainly not all
of them, so does their sample really reflect the correct percents?

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/