[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Distro distro ...

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:13:57 -0500

> > Debian:  I would have looked at it harder, I could have gotten the damn
> > thing to install.  (that was before I heard about the new/beta
> > installer)
>
> Not supported AT ALL by commercial packages I have to to use.    Maybe someone
> needs to make an "Enterprise Debian";  with sensible names for releases and some
> happy medium between stable/stale and unstable.

I've heard good things about Libranet, but I'm not willing to PURCHASE a
distribution for evaluation.

> > Bugs like the calendar in Evolution keeps giving me trouble.  I click
> > on "calendar" and I get "tasks" (no calendar shows up).
>
> Doesn't have anything to do with Fedora, I saw this as well in XD2.  It is/was a
> bug in 1.4.5 itself.  It exists in Ximian's bugzilla.

Maybe that's why SuSE 9.0 comes with Evolution 1.4.4?  :-)

(BTW, I haven't verified if the bug exists in SuSE 9 or not)

> > And the other day I plugged in my Firewire disk drive that I use to
> > backup my laptop, and Firewire is no longer working (worked in RH9).
>
> Suck!  I'm about to get a firewire PCMCIA card, any suggestions?

No, my laptop has a on-board Firewire controller.  I've never looked at
PCMCIA firewire cards.

I haven't researched this problem at all either.  All I know is that it
worked "out of the box" on RH9, and Fedora sees the device, but cannot
access it for some reason.

I haven't had a chance to test it with SuSE yet either ...

> > And my laptop HANGS during shutdown when stopping iptables, unless I
> > manually stop iptables before shutting down.  This started around the
> > time I recreated my firewall settings with the Fedora GUI.
>
> Wierd.

It hangs from the command line too, but then the shutdown works.

A trace shows it's hanging while trying to unload one of the netfilter
modules.  ipt_state (I think).

> > It's a major pain to recompile/reinstall ALSA every time a new kernel
> > update is released on Fedora.  ALSA is supported "out of the box" on
> > SuSE 9.0.  Plus a lot of other "extra" software comes standard on SuSE,
> > making my life easier (Adobe Acrobat reader, OpenVPN, APC UPS monitor).
>
> If I never have to build MDB Tools (included in SuSE) again, I'll be happy.  And
> reiserfs and XFS and LVM are all supported in the installer!!!!!

Yes, all very nice!

 - BS