[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Distro distro ...

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:59:04 -0500

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:19:45 -0500, Bruce Smith <bruce@armintl.com>wrote:

>>>It hangs from the command line too, but then the shutdown works.
>>>A trace shows it's hanging while trying to unload one of the netfilter
>>>modules.  ipt_state (I think).
>>Why, exactly, would one want to unload a kernel module while shutting
>>down? What is the gain?
>The shutdown runs the scripts to stop each running service.
>If you were manually shutting down a service (without shutting down),
>then I guess it makes sense to unload the modules.
>
>In this case I don't see a need to stop the firewall service during
>shutdown, I could remove the "rc" link which would be a work-around to
>this problem.  (but doesn't solve the problem of unloading a module not
>working)

It does seem like a bit of overprogramming to perform an rmmod when the
whole system is going away in a few seconds. It's not like we're saving
gobs of memory for tons of processing to come....

							Regards,