[KLUG Advocacy] Re: [KLUG Members] Distro distro ...

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:19:45 -0500

> > > Wierd.
> >
> > It hangs from the command line too, but then the shutdown works.
> >
> > A trace shows it's hanging while trying to unload one of the netfilter
> > modules.  ipt_state (I think).
>
> Why, exactly, would one want to unload a kernel module while shutting
> down? What is the gain?

The shutdown runs the scripts to stop each running service.

If you were manually shutting down a service (without shutting down),
then I guess it makes sense to unload the modules.

In this case I don't see a need to stop the firewall service during
shutdown, I could remove the "rc" link which would be a work-around to
this problem.  (but doesn't solve the problem of unloading a module not
working)

 - BS