[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Cringley's predictions for 2003

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
03 Jan 2003 09:37:21 -0500

--=-kEgSvM7D3U92w9Ln8ZaC

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 09:02, Bruce Smith wrote:
> Oh my gawd, no, NO, *NO* -- NOT another dissertation about the internal
> working of processors!!!  Just shoot me now!  Where'd I put that knife?
> Take it to the hardware list - but NOT the KLUG hardware list!!!  ;->
> Can someone post their procmail filter to eliminate TheBS messages? :-)
> NO WAIT!  NOT a good idea!  The list cannot handle that much traffic!!!

He he he.  Seriously now, I wasn't sure what you originally meant.  Did
you mean:
   A.  Apple will/won't release new 64-bit systems until 2004?, or
   B.  Apple will/won't use IBM's new chip at all?

This has _nothing_ to do with internals.  IBM's new 64-bit Power4 chip
is the first Power4 chip in a long time that is 32-bit PowerPC
compatible.

When PowerMacs first came out, they _used_ to use IBM PowerPC chips,
until IBM created the 64-bit Power4 series after they couldn't get their
64-bit PowerPC 620 to work (total design failure).  So they switched to
Motorola 60x processors and later.  The new IBM Power4 chip would just
be a "switch back" now that it is 32-bit PowerPC compatible again.

Apple would be stupid not to use it.

> Sorry, it's early - blame it on the caffeine  ;->

Okay ...

> Or maybe because spam will become so bad, that people will be in the
> habit of deleting all unknown email without opening it?  Essentially
> stopping the virus payload?=20

Ahhh, of course.

--=20
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]
* A lecture on software piracy from Bill Gates is like a lecture *
* on adultry from the owner of a brothel of other people's wives *

--=-kEgSvM7D3U92w9Ln8ZaC

--=-kEgSvM7D3U92w9Ln8ZaC--