[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Cringley's predictions for 2003

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
03 Jan 2003 09:02:25 -0500

> > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030102.html
> > I sure hope he's right about #9!!!
> > #10 is a no-brainer.  I personally doubt #7 will happen.
>
> Er, regarding #7, that Apple won't release until 2004, or not at all?
> If the latter, I hope you know the details of those processors.

Oh my gawd, no, NO, *NO* -- NOT another dissertation about the internal
working of processors!!!  Just shoot me now!  Where'd I put that knife?
Take it to the hardware list - but NOT the KLUG hardware list!!!  ;->

Can someone post their procmail filter to eliminate TheBS messages? :-)
NO WAIT!  NOT a good idea!  The list cannot handle that much traffic!!!

Sorry, it's early - blame it on the caffeine  ;->

> #9 sounds true, at least I hope.

I don't care if he's wrong on all the others, as long as he's right on
this one!!!  (Palladium)

> #10 was an interesting viewpoint, but I think Cringely, like many
> others, _forget_ that most viruses come from outside the US anyway.  So
> it's not about profit, but chaos.

Maybe he's saying that people won't worry as much about viruses because
M$ is getting better at security (#3), or people will have converted to
Linux on their desktops?  :-)

Or maybe because spam will become so bad, that people will be in the
habit of deleting all unknown email without opening it?  Essentially
stopping the virus payload?

In any case, forgetting the virus part, spam isn't getting any better,
and will keep getting worse until something is done about it.

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/