[KLUG Advocacy] Subject line formatting...

Bryan J. Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
14 Jan 2003 22:32:47 -0500

--=-KwCAwb79J6mD6dNKjGrQ

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 19:59, Wesley Leonard wrote:
> Why is it that some mail clients send replies like this:
> [KLUG List Name] Re: Original Subject

That's because some posters strip out the prefix, so the subject sort
works.

> while some send like this:
> Re: [KLUG List Name] Original Subject

Because others don't bother, which results in the subject sort not
working.

> and eventually they start looking like this after they've been passed
> around a while:
> Re: [KLUG List Name] Re: Original Subject

Because there are combinations of posters who do and don't strip out the
original prefix.=20

> This messes things up when I got to sort by subject.  Does anybody know
> if Evolution can work around this?  Is there a way we can configure our
> mailing list software to fix this???

Sort by thread.  It's the only way to guarantee near-proper threading.

--=20
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]
* A lecture on software piracy from Bill Gates is like a lecture *
* on adultry from the owner of a brothel of other people's wives *

--=-KwCAwb79J6mD6dNKjGrQ

--=-KwCAwb79J6mD6dNKjGrQ--