[KLUG Advocacy] This from Internet Week

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
19 Jun 2003 08:52:38 -0400

WAGNER'S WEBLOG:
I made sure my flame-retardant underwear was strapped on tight before
posting today's top story, an opinion piece by new guest columnist Rob
Enderle arguing why Linux is not ready for the enterprise.

Enderle argues that Linux and other open source projects require too
much customization, and that doubts about the legitimacy of open
source code could get users tangled up in lawsuits. Open source
software gives developers too much control and authority. Besides,
many Linux supporters are a bunch of potty-mouthed malcontents.
Enterprises are better off staying away from Linux and open source --
or at least thinking through the possible liabilities, Enderle argues.

Strong opinion? Perhaps. We do not enjoy stirring up controversy and
inviting criticism, we do it all for YOU, in the interest of serving
your need for information about business use of IT. And so we gird
ourselves to face the barrage of criticism, knowing that the
unpleasantness is worthwhile if only we can--

Oh, who the heck am I kidding? Journalists LOVE to stir up
controversy. When we were kids, we used to whap at hornets' nests with
big sticks, just to see what would happen. I figure if we're lucky,
this column will get picked up by Slashdot, and I'm already savoring
all the namecalling which will ensue. So go ahead, send us your nasty
e-mail, call me whatever you want. I grew up on the mean streets of
New York, I can take it. (Well, actually, I grew up in an affluent
suburb of Long Island -- but there was a guy on my block who was
rumored to have once been in a street gang. Either that, or a
traveling road show of "West Side Story." We weren't sure.)

But there's a serious point underlying all this foofaraw, and that is
that enterprises committing to Linux are taking a big risk, never
moreso then now when SCO is staggering around like a belligerent
drunk, threatening to sue IBM, Linux users, other Linux vendors, and
the "Peanuts" comic strip (which contains a character called Linus).

Me, I think Linux and other open source projects will come through
just fine. The SCO lawsuit will prove to be a mere speed bump,
insignificant in the long run -- either SCO will prove to be wrong, or
they'll get paid by vendors in a fashion that's invisible to
customers. Worst-case scenario: the open source community will simply
re-write the offending code.

That's my prediction. But, of course, I'm not going to get fired if my
prediction is wrong. You just might. So don't dismiss Rob Enderle's
concerns, lest ye be dismissed yourself.

The URL for this entry is
http://update.internetweek.com/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eMXB0BhIND0V30B2Rz0AO

The URL for Wagner's Weblog on the Web is
http://update.internetweek.com/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eMXB0BhIND0V30BwgE0Az