[KLUG Advocacy] A [little] more on the SCO suit

Robert G. Brown advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:49:52 -0500

Apparently, this claim is at the core of the SCO suit:

"It is not possible for Linux to rapidly reach UNIX performance standards
for complete enterprise functionality without the misappropriation of UNIX
code, methods or concepts to achieve such performance, and coordination by
a larger developer, such as IBM."

That is one heck of a declaration! It remonds me of the people who said it
was "impossible" to build a channel under the English channel, construct
buildings a quarter mile into the sky, or learn more from the stars than their
positions. Add those things to the skeptisism of any judge, and the rigor of
the IBM legal dept. as it appproaches most IP issues, and you've got one
hard case to prove.

Frankly, I wish 'em luck... they're going to need it. If IBM has tainted Linux
in some way, they even deserve to win. My own experience with IBM legal is
that they wouldn't stand for it... and they only just recently have started to
UNDERSTAND Linux! :)

						Regards,