[KLUG Advocacy] A [little] more on the SCO suit

John Bridleman advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 09:19:10 -0500

* Robert G. Brown (bob@acm.org) wrote:

> "It is not possible for Linux to rapidly reach UNIX performance standards
> for complete enterprise functionality without the misappropriation of UNIX
> code, methods or concepts to achieve such performance, and coordination by
> a larger developer, such as IBM."

Yea, whatever. Seems like they would have to give specific code examples. The irony here is that Caldera, um I mean SCO, has a Linux distro.

While listening to the SCOsource Teleconference (http://www.sco.com/scosource/) it amazed me just how much Darl McBride, the President and CEO, didn't know when asked relatively simple questions like how much revenue is IBM to SCO. Seems like he'd know that before he sued them. He also kept mentioning that these questions will all be answered as the lawsuit unfolds. I seriously doubt this will ever see a court room. I look for IBM to either buy UNIX or dump AIX.

> Frankly, I wish 'em luck.. they're going to need it. If IBM has tainted Linux
> in some way, they even deserve to win. My own experience with IBM legal is
> that they wouldn't stand for it.. and they only just recently have started to
> UNDERSTAND Linux! :)

SCO reminds me of people that commit suicide by pointing a gun at the police - suicide by cop.
--
John Bridleman / www.bridleman.org