[KLUG Advocacy] A [little] more on the SCO suit

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
08 Mar 2003 13:56:18 -0500

>>"It is not possible for Linux to rapidly reach UNIX performance standards
>>for complete enterprise functionality without the misappropriation of UNIX
>>code, methods or concepts to achieve such performance, and
>>coordination by a larger developer, such as IBM."

This statement borders on "What!?".  The *ONLY* way to achieve
"enterprise functionality" is to appropriate chunks of the sacred and
holy one-only-true UNIX code from ~20 years ago?  Come on!  Do you think
Microsoft or Novel would agree with that statement?  And is "enterprise
functionality" the same now as 5, 10, 15 years ago?  This seems like a
reference to some teleological constant; I can't imagine an argument
with such a premise would survive serious scrutiny for long, even by
someone with a non-technical background.

>Yea, whatever. Seems like they would have to give specific code examples.
>The irony here is that Caldera, um I mean SCO, has a Linux distro.

Right, but they are challenging IBM's right to extend Linux
functionality with UNIX code, mostly in reference to glibc from the gist
I've taken from the article and my knowledge of the areas in which IBM
fund developers; threading models, etc...  Feature enhancements like
JFS, etc.. don't really relate back to UNIX at all but are actually
trademarked and patented by IBM itself.  Of course, glibc is not
confined to Linux at all, which makes the argument even more dicey.

Maybe one of the reasons Linux is replacing UNIX is because it isn't
UNIX; that is, it has the flexibility to not be UNIX-like when being
UNIX-like (static /dev for example) no longer makes good sense.  Linux
is the next evolutionary step (vs. the divergent Windows and Novell).
SCO simply hasn't progressed, and IBM and others would rather not pay
$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ to progress their products.  I smell a thick frothy stew
of sour grapes and last-ditch-effort.

>While listening to the SCOsource Teleconference (http://www.sco.com/scosource/)
>it amazed me just how much Darl McBride, the President and CEO, didn't
>know when asked relatively simple questions like how much revenue is
>IBM to SCO. Seems like he'd know that before he sued them. He also kept
>mentioning that these questions will all be answered as the lawsuit
>unfolds. I seriously doubt this will ever see a court room. I look for
>IBM to either buy UNIX or dump AIX.

IBM is about at likely to dump AIX in the near-term as Bill is to dump
Windows.  They have WAY to many HUGE customers depending on it.

>>Frankly, I wish 'em luck.. they're going to need it. If IBM has tainted Linux
>>in some way, they even deserve to win. My own experience with IBM legal is
>>that they wouldn't stand for it.. and they only just recently have started to
>>UNDERSTAND Linux! :)
>SCO reminds me of people that commit suicide by pointing a gun at the police -
>suicide by cop.

SCO  is a corporate wraith, a long dead entity that just won't stop
harassing people.  It and Caldera make a really good couple.  Maybe IBM
will just assimilate these annoying creatures, solving the problem by
brute force.    Hey, anyone still using the "Looking Glass" window
manager that Caldera hyped so much?  Or bumped into SCO's Tarantula
lately?  Nah, didn't think so.