[KLUG Advocacy] Re: Advocacy digest, Vol 1 #146 - 1 msg

Peter Buxton advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:33:09 -0500

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 03:13:29PM -0500, Adam Williams wrote:

> Take the universal service fee for instance.  It costs the same for my
> parent to have a phone where there is about one line every four square
> miles as it does for me to have a phone in my dense residential area
> (probably about one line every 100 sq.  feet.)  Such equalization is
> fundamental to a strong infrastructure and the resulting dynamic
> economy.

The price for it was the AT&T monopoly. No such company would have built
the Internet, though: why make TCP/IP a public standard when only AT&T
modems, gateways and switches can connect to AT&T's network? Which, of
course, would have spread across North America and possibly Japan, but
not Europe, whose PTTs would have their own standard.

Great service, though.

> > BTW, does anybody know when SBC is getting DSL through
> > Kalamazoo/Portage area?

It's all over downtown, from, to my personal knowledge, West Main and
Drake, to Saint Augustine's, to Westnedge and Crosstown Pkwy.

--
-187
[The Basement Tapes were] like the Watergate tapes... Bob