[KLUG Advocacy] What users want from Linux?

Rusty Yonkers advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:48:02 -0800 (PST)

> adoption.  It

Although there are many things that are off the mark in this article
they do make a few good points.  There are a few things that could be
learned in the article.  Some of these points were mis-understood by
the list I think.

> >>I've been called several times by trade rags and asked for
> quotes;  as

Instead of giving quotes maybe try writing articles yourself.  Many
in here show a great command of the english language.

4. Simplicity

This is one that is really misnamed by them.  What is really needed
here is some GOOD documentation not GEEK documentation.  I have
worked in computers for almost two decades and consider myself fairly
astute, and yet I at times have trouble understanding what the author
is getting at.  Documentation is often too terse with either
non-existent or very abbreviated examples.  The use of
techno-language is one of the biggest problems.  Nerdspeak is not
what most people understand.  There are times for highly technical
documentation but if you can say it without techspeak then do so.

A problem with good documentation is when different distros use
drastically different directory structures and it is not documented.
When I switched from RedHat to SuSE I had a major issue with trying
to find where some things were put.  Granted it did not take me long
to find it but for others it could have totally derailed them.

5. Hardware

This one is mostly a non-issue, escpecially for common hardware.
Sometimes video cards can be a bit of a challenge.  Speciallized
hardware might be a bit of a mess too.  I have a logitech webcam that
is NOT supported by Linux either by Logitech or by any Linux user.
Granted it is a cheap camera but it is frustrating to not be able to
use it.

Printers can be a big problem however.  First there is a problem with
driver availability if you are not using a common and highly used
printer like an HP.  Second, I have had problems getting what I would
call acceptable photo output from either of my HP deskjet printers.
It works fine for basic color and B&W printing but photos are poor at
best.  CUPS is making things better but I have reverted back to
either my Windows desktop or my MAC when doing photo printouts.

Printers also need a common interface.  I think that CUPS is doing a
good job of workign toward this.  The interface to the printer
subsystem needs to be cleaned up though.  And it needs to be common
between KDE, and GNOME.  I should be able, in any program, to select
print and get a nice drop down that would list all printers I have
available, and it needs to work in ALL applications!!!!  Printer
options need to be GUI selectable, not selected from a command-line
type switch.

Having a directory for Linux (can anyone say NDS) would be a huge
help for printing in a large network environment.  I am sure that IPP
would be a very good alternative although I have done very little
with it so far, so I will grant that there may be a really good
option that people are not currently using (I refer back to the need
for GOOD documentation also).

I think that Oracle collaboration suite is a good example of ease of
use (from what I saw at the demo).

I think the deal of this is the varying directory structures making
software install and systems administration difficult.  I think that
more than anything this is the biggest problem between the different
distros.  (of course there is RedHat with that atrocity they call
bluecurve bleeech)

> plus," God,

Part of the problem here is vertical market apps that are only
written for windows.  These applications need to either be ported to
Linux or comparable applications written.  This is happening to a
point.  There are some verical market apps but many are still
immature and more need to be written.

The other problem is one that over time will change.  There are some
areas that are still lacking meaningful applications.  An example
(although not a corporate example) is movie editing.  Linux is way
behind in lower end editing software (most of what is used in
Hollywood, IMHO, is custom written in-house).

> >"Instead of having basic tools spread around the operating system,
> users
> >would like to see them all in one easy-to-find location."

I think the best answer to this point is YAST.  A single point to
find all the different configuration utilities is a very good thing.
One advantage that Windows has (to a point) is the control panel
concept.  Webmin is another good example of a single point of
configuration.  Both of these significantly increase administration
ease of use.

Increasing acceptance of Linux will be dependant in part on people
like KLUG users.  We need to look at articles like this for two
benefits.  First, what can we do to listen to concerns and address
them with changes in the system.  Second, what tools are available
that the other person does not know about (Webmin, YAST???)
Self-rightous pontification will not forward the use of Linux.  There
are things to learn from these people, even if they do not express it
well.

=====
Rusty Yonkers
CNE, MCP, A+, CCNA, Linux+, Server+, Network+ certified