[KLUG Advocacy] OpenOffice and Mac

Greg Mason advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:07:02 -0500

<major snip />

The problem with OpenOffice on X11 on the mac is the inconsistency of
the UI. First thing that pops out to me is look where the menu bar is,
and where it should be on a mac.

One of the big reasons why Apple still has (and somewhat pushes) M$
office on the mac is you VERY often have the question "Can it run
Microsoft Office?" I think that's one of the reasons why Internet
Exploder is still bundled with OS X Panther (insert shameless plug for
my mac presentation on 12-16 here).

>Or it is a shame that Apple took off down a proprietary road instead of
>just using and refining established technology.  But thats a whole
>different argument.

Indeed it is. I think one of the biggest reasons is that Apple wanted to
really innovate some newer technologies. Existing technologies are not
always the best. And I have to admit-- I wish I could get the latest of
Apple's window manager on the linux desktop. You'll see why at my
presentation :)

-Greg