[KLUG Advocacy] Linux tutor.

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
04 Oct 2003 08:17:26 -0400

> Right, you could dial up via someone like Delphi and get into
> sunsite.unc.edu.  Gold Mine!  I didn't know anything about licensing,
> I just knew I could get it and didn't care.

Exactly.  Did software even come with a license back then?
I don't remember, and probably didn't even look at the time.

> Although I did learn to loath Imake.

There's a horror from the past!  Wow did that suck!!!

> And restore the system image to a different workstation, with different
> hardware - Linux cares how much?  You might have to reconfigure X and
> sound.  Windows XP?  Hah!

How about "upgrades"?  Got a NT workstation you'd like to make into a NT
server?  Guess what, you can't upgrade, it's reinstall time!  I suspect
the same is true today with XP (switching from home to pro or whatever).

Not to mention if you want to upgrade 9x to NT to 2K to XP to 2003 ...

> Of course you did inherit some limitations - no excel, etc...  But at
> the time these really weren't considered earth shaking, if most of the
> people even knew what a spreadsheet was (cough, most still don't but
> think they do).

There were (are?) spreadsheets (and word-processors) that would run on a
dumb terminal in a curses(-like?) interface.  We ran some for awhile,
but once windowing environments started coming out, our users didn't
want to have anything to do with them any longer.

 - BS