[KLUG Advocacy] linux news

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:53:48 -0400

> Interesting articles on Linux
> http://kiplinger.com/news/XmlStoryResult.php?storyid=200309152075.3_79db002a57523c6b

"But the negatives have begun to pile up. The latest e-mail worms
certainly haven't helped governments and enterprises that might have
been wavering. In August, the worm and virus attacks shut down the U.S.
Department of Defense and the Maryland State Department of Motor
Vehicles, among others. CSX, a railroad company, was forced to stop
trains in 23 eastern states, Air Canada had to suspend flights, and the
control system at the Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in Ohio was found
to have been crashed by an earlier Microsoft worm.
A suspicious computer freeze at the utility manager FirstEnergy is even
causing speculation that the Blaster worm played a role in power outages
that hit the U.S. and Canada in August."

Did any of this make the major rags (NY Times, etc...)?  I hadn't heard
about any of these outages.

"By 2003, Ximian's XD2 desktop had improved so much that Novell, a
Microsoft rival with $1 billion in sales, bought it.
Ernie Ball Strings uses Ximian's Evolution, an e-mail, contact and
calendar program to replace Microsoft's Outlook on Linux computers.
Siemens Business Services, an IT service provider, also thinks that the
Ximian desktop is ready for the big time."

Ximian rocks!  [I have a hard time saying "Novell rocks!" after years of
decomissioning those &*^$&@( things,  but I guess I'll have to get used
to it.]