[KLUG Advocacy] Samba 3.0 rocks Windows 2003's world (2.5 times!)

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:49:48 -0400

"Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba
file and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server
2003 in the same role. The news comes as many firms are grappling with
the consequences of Microsoft ending support for NT4, coupled with
uncertainty about when Microsoft will next update Windows. The
performance difference between Windows Server 2003 and Samba 3 has
increased dramatically compared with Samba 2 and Windows 2000 Server."

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1144289

I can attest that upgrading from 2.2.7 to 3.0.0 on my PDC (a lowly PPro
still) loading roaming profiles, etc... got some really noticable
zoom-zoom.