[KLUG Advocacy] No OS immune to DOS attacks... :-) Not even ALL POWERFUL SUPER LINUX!

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:01:22 -0400

> MANY of the Linux oriented news sources reported
> the story about Linux rescuing Microsoft from the
> Win32 Blaster worm by taking over the hosting of
> the M$ Update service web site.  IT WAS HOOEY!

Ok, I don't recall ever see-ing this story.  Either way I'm not
suprised, I see alot of Linux related articles that I, frankly, just
don't believe.  And articles from the opposite side as well.

> Urban Myths and the immortal MUST make money motive.

Eh?  I don't understand this sentence.

> You know... there is MORE Linux social engineering
> HOOEY that comes through the "factual news" pipeline
> on a regular basis.  One could include Linux on the

Most of the news, on all major channels, is propaganda.

> TCO studies,

Never met a TCO study I thought much of.

> Open Source Community altruism,

Only touted by those who aren't in or don't understand the community.
I'm not here out of altruism, never claimed to be.  Linux, Cox, and
others don't claim to be either.

> etc. as examples of common Linux MYTH!  Other Linux
> myths???

You espouse some below, i.e. complexity.

> You heard the master Gnome monkey Chris Lehey say it
> too!  "Pay no attention to those that say Linux is NOT
> ready for the desktop!"  Pssst... Hey!  Linux is NOT
> ready for the desktop.

It is a question of whose desktop.  There is no such thing as "the"
desktop.  Ask a Mac user.

> Can we say that there are a few
> things missing from the UtOOpian business productivity

The word "utopian", again, is not one used by serious people.

> suite and the underlying "way too complicated OS
> architecture?"

Ha! Ha! and Ha!  Okay, Linux is OH SO COMPLICATED, and Windows is OH SO
SIMPLE.  So explain to me interaction of OLE, ADO, MDAC, the SAM,
COM/DOM, NetBEUI, and the GDI?  Right, cause that is so much simpler
that CORBA/BONOBO, NSS, PAM, LDAP and GNOME!  Phhhfffttt...  Power and
flexibility requires complexity - deal with it.

> YUP!  Not that I don't wish it were
> true!!!  I'd love the myth to become a reality... just
> don't look for it to happen soon.  OO Writer, Gnumeric,
> and OO Impress could piece together a functional M$
> alternative and then maybe it could be coupled with a
> friendlier newbie usable GUI!

Could they?  Make a "M$ alternative"?  I don't think so, and I don't
think that is their intent.  They (not Wes Craven's they, but the
GNOME/Ximian/OO people) are trying to make a solid desktop workstation
environment.  It works great for me, for other people I know, for people
where I work (choosen of their own free will).  May not work so well for
others, especially if they are trying it in the "M$ alternative" frame
of mind.  It isn't, won't ever be, and I thank the powers that be that
it won't.

> Is Linux a religion of competing denominations?

No, the Linux denominations cooperate way more than any given three
evangelical groups could ever dream of doing.  Spend more time with
protestants, the Linux community is way more peacable.

If Linux sucks on the desktop, that Windows f*^&**@( blows chunks.

> [>>> END OF RANT <<<]  ALLELUIA!!!

> In the absence of windowsupdate.com the first stop of incoming requests
> was the Akamai caching service which Microsoft uses. This runs on Linux,

Gee, this article seems pro-Linux to me.  What platform did Akamai
choose?  Maybe we should ask them why.

> hence Netcraft report a Linux host, but behind this the Microsoft
> servers were still operational, hence the report of Microsoft IIS
> running on Linux. So Microsoft isn't running Windows Update on Linux,
> and although it's using a service provider that runs on Linux, those
> services are still fielding back to Windows 2003 servers, clear?
> We presume the wielder of the BRS was unaware of the urban legend
> side-effects of the exercise,

Gee, a simple minded journalist who doesn't know his head from his ass
make a fool out of himself.  How shocking.  If your a journalist, maybe
just maybe, you should ask someone who knows what the &^#&*@( &@&@*$@
they are doing to check something before you print it.  This applies way
beyond this one still article.

>  as DDoS is no respecter of operating systems...

No it isn't, there have been DOS attacks against Linux hosted services.
Well documented ones.  This guy is arguing with the wind.