[KLUG Advocacy] No OS immune to DOS attacks... :-) Not even ALL POWERFUL SUPER LINUX!

magoo advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
14 Sep 2003 21:21:07 -0400

> Maybe, but I'm not falling for your argument.
> Let's just say that I don't agree with your premise.

The major small business and medium size business money is being
spent on Microsoft OS's and Office applications.  Linux HAD to
find a path of compatibility to gain ANY market.  There is a weak
argument the OO can do what business needs.  Like the IBM Linux
strategist just said... it is NOT good enough.  I was pissed at
first but then realized she was right.  OO sucks as the bridge
away from unstable and insecure Windows.  Wish it wasn't.

> <major snip>

send private?  ;-)

> It's sad that the majority (at least as far as I've seen) of the arguments complaining that Linux is not
>
> ready for "the desktop" are basing that assumption by comparing it to Microsoft Windows. IMHO, that's not the point.
>
> What is the point? The point is that we Linux users are looking for something else. For some it's stability.
> For some it's price. Others, freedom. But whatever the reason, we choose to make the effort to run Linux. Yes, effort.

Let me know (and the whole world) when you (and that mouse in your
pocket) find the "something else" you are looking for.  If you knew
what you were looking for it wouldn't be research, eh?  Fine...
Until then and in the present it is true that M$ has moved the world
light years ahead!  Relatively stupid (DUMB) people can use the M$
desktop, file manager, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access.  Outlook
Express and MSIE seem to be the most used applications in the network
world...

> The Linux desktop is not perfect, and it's not for everybody. Maybe the

Windows environment is a better for for some. If so, I think that's great.

Let them run Windows, or OSX, or ???. I really don't care.

> But, I think it's a waste of everyones time to compare the Linux Desktop against Windows.

If that's your argument then run Windows. Rather, let's concentrate on what we need in

 a desktop and implement it.

I just took two aspirin and I AM calling you in the morning... 5 AM OK?
Look at the totally revenue in 2003 projected from M$ Office!  It hasn't
really changed since M$ Office97 code arrived to crush WordPerfect.
Linux is great for many things,  I am all goose bumpy about that...
but Linus claims his target is (and always has been) the productivity
desktop software for business.  They did it all backward then...
focusing on that silly Linux kernel instead of a GUI office suite
application.  OH YEAH!  Pinocchio... I AM a little boy already!