[KLUG Advocacy] No OS immune to DOS attacks... :-) Not even ALL POWERFUL SUPER LINUX!

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:18:51 -0400

>  > Maybe, but I'm not falling for your argument.
> > Let's just say that I don't agree with your premise.
> The major small business and medium size business money is being
> spent on Microsoft OS's and Office applications.  Linux HAD to
> find a path of compatibility to gain ANY market.  T

Are we talking about applications or file formats?  This is all to vague
to mean anything.  Sure OO needs/needed M$-Office import/exporters.  And
M$-Office needs/needed WP/123/Quatro/etc.... import/exporters.  So
what.  There are many applications in the world, the import/export thing
isn't going away.

If you find the OO import/exporters a problem - OK.  Say that.

> here is a weak
> argument the OO can do what business needs.  Like the IBM Linux
> strategist just said... it is NOT good nough.  I was pissed at
> first but then realized she was right.  OO sucks as the bridge
> away from unstable and insecure Windows.  Wish it wasn't.

Have you used OO extensively?  I have, and there are (at least) several
companies in GR that do.  I've yet to have OO be in the way of anything
I wanted to do, and I manage some pretty large and complext documents.
And not just the LDAP presentation - but ones with automated tables,
tables of contexts, OLE embedded components, indexes, etc...

Is OO perfect?  No.  Is Linux perfect? No. In fact, see the archives of
this list for my "Ten Reasons Linux Sucks" post.

I'm curious what the specific issues with OO as an application that
you've discovered.  I can list mine if you like.

> > It's sad that the majority (at least as far as I've seen) of the arguments complaining that Linux is not
> > ready for "the desktop" are basing that assumption by comparing it to Microsoft Windows. IMHO, that's not the point.
> > What is the point? The point is that we Linux users are looking for something else. For some it's stability.
> > For some it's price. Others, freedom. But whatever the reason, we choose to make the effort to run Linux. Yes, effort.
> Let me know (and the whole world) when you (and that mouse in your
> pocket) find the "something else" you are looking for.  If you knew

They, nor I, ever will find it.  The world changes, I change, my needs
change.  I *ALWAYS* want something better that lets me do more in less
time.

> what you were looking for it wouldn't be research, eh?  Fine...
> Until then and in the present it is true that M$ has moved the world
> light years ahead!

Sure, did someone here say they didn't?  M$ has done some really good
things, done some things very well, and totally dropped the ball on
others.

> Relatively stupid (DUMB) people can use the M$
> desktop, file manager, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access.  Outlook
> Express and MSIE seem to be the most used applications in the network
> world...

Sorry, but really stupid people can use OO, Evolution, and Galeon too.
I've got some I could introduce you to.

> > The Linux desktop is not perfect, and it's not for everybody. Maybe the
> Windows environment is a better for for some. If so, I think that's great.
> Let them run Windows, or OSX, or ???. I really don't care.

Ok, then what is all this about?  I do care - if they made the decision
without any real knowledge about their options.  That is bad for them,
and bad for society on a more macro scale.  If they evaluated their
options and choose, then fine, let them use a Commodore PET if they
really solves their problem in the most effective manner.

> > But, I think it's a waste of everyones time to compare the Linux Desktop against Windows.
> If that's your argument then run Windows. Rather, let's concentrate on what we need in
>  a desktop and implement it.
> I just took two aspirin and I AM calling you in the morning... 5 AM OK?
> Look at the totally revenue in 2003 projected from M$ Office!  It hasn't
> really changed since M$ Office97 code arrived to crush WordPerfect.

So?

> Linux is great for many things,  I am all goose bumpy about that...
> but Linus claims his target is (and always has been) the productivity
> desktop software for business.  They did it all backward then...
> focusing on that silly Linux kernel instead of a GUI office suite
> application.  OH YEAH!  Pinocchio... I AM a little boy already!

Wrong.  M$ Office may be great - what it is suffering from is derived
from what it rests upon.  To build an art mueseum one still has to start
with the boring old poured concrete foundation, plumbing, and
electrical.  Otherwise you'll loose all that art when the building falls
in on itself.  Which I've experienced on M$ products more times than I
can count.