[KLUG Advocacy] word processors / office packages - Was: total crap

Adam Tauno Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:06:09 -0400

> [ major ass snip! :-) ]
> I hate to try and turn this thread into something useful, but ...

Blasphemy!

> Speaking of word processors and office packages, has anyone tried
> Textmaker on Linux?  http://www.softmaker.de/tm_en.htm
> It's a commercial WP for Linux ($49 w/free trial).  I gave the link to
> one of my Linux desktop users here at work, and he's been RAVING about
> the free trial!  First of all when you click the icon, it starts
> IMMEDIATELY, as opposed to OO which give you time to go make coffee.

This sounds interesting.  There is also Scribus for real layout oriented people,
more of a DTP than a WP.

Maybe you could talk him into presenting on Text Maker.

> Second, he claims he's had much better luck with M$-Word compatibility
> than he's had in OO.

Curious if your using OO or OOo (Ximian's version).  I had OO on my wife's
laptop and OOo on mine - opened a bunch of relatively complicated documents.
OOo was quite a bit more successful.  Would be interesting to see a run off
between OO 1.0, OOo, OO 1.1rcX, and other relavent packages.

> I an not personally an office package user of any kind.  (my WP is vi :)
> The only thing I use a office package for is to read M$-office
> attachments I get sent in email, so I can't personally comment any more
> on the advantages of one package over another.  But here's one last
> link:  A comparison of different WP packages (platform independent):
> http://www.thejemreport.com/software/wordprocessors.htm

This is pretty good, except he is evaluating a beta of M$-Office, and a release
candidate of OO.  Cast a little doubt on his conclusions about both.

I certainly don't have the font problems he speaks of.

> OK, I'm done.  Continue on ...

Will do!