[KLUG Advocacy] word processors / office packages - Was: total crap

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
16 Sep 2003 08:49:18 -0400

[ major ass snip! :-) ]
I hate to try and turn this thread into something useful, but ...

Speaking of word processors and office packages, has anyone tried
Textmaker on Linux?  http://www.softmaker.de/tm_en.htm

It's a commercial WP for Linux ($49 w/free trial).  I gave the link to
one of my Linux desktop users here at work, and he's been RAVING about
the free trial!  First of all when you click the icon, it starts
IMMEDIATELY, as opposed to OO which give you time to go make coffee.
Second, he claims he's had much better luck with M$-Word compatibility
than he's had in OO.

I an not personally an office package user of any kind.  (my WP is vi :)
The only thing I use a office package for is to read M$-office
attachments I get sent in email, so I can't personally comment any more
on the advantages of one package over another.  But here's one last
link:  A comparison of different WP packages (platform independent):
http://www.thejemreport.com/software/wordprocessors.htm

OK, I'm done.  Continue on ...

Bruce Smith                bruce@armintl.com
System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA
http://www.armstrong-intl.com/