[KLUG Advocacy] re: TCP/IP Protocol is ideal for traffic management

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Wed Aug 4 17:11:57 EDT 2004

>Date: Wed,  4 Aug 2004 07:09:33 -0400
>From: Adam Tauno Williams <adam at morrison-ind.com>
>Subject: [KLUG Advocacy] "TCP/IP Protocol is ideal for traffic
>	management"
>
>Check out this link for a scary analogy - TCP/IP for traffic (as in vehicles)
>control.
>
>http://www.interstatetraveler.us/
>
>Came across this while looking up information about a wierd little newspaper
>article...
>http://www.mlive.com/news/advancenewspapers/northfield/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1090435836100550.xml
>http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=2109094&ClientType=Printable
>.. where these people might actually try to build something in Michigan (Ha!
>Good luck; apparently they've never spend much time in Michigan).

I don't know that it's that scary an analogy.  I saw the same article (I
think), and they were mostly talking about TCP/IP addresses as a
heirarchical namespace.  I can also come up with scary scenarios if
whatever system you use to route information has anything wrong with it
(snipped wire means you can't slow down the car that's coming in at 300
mph and such), but IP addresses would work as well as anything for
identifying stations and such.  Of course X.500 would be even more
flexible, but it's gonna take more bandwidth to transmit those unwieldy
"/ou=something,/ou=somethingelse..." headers.

It looked like neat ideas, but I doubt he can pull it off.  Especially
since the company promoting this has supposedly been around for 6 years
or so, and the web site has cheap hand-drawn sketches and spelling
errors all over it!