[KLUG Advocacy] Linux turning into Windows?

Adam Williams advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:50:21 -0500

> is this registry going to be human-editable? I mean, it would be a big
> step backwards if it isn't.
> Just brings memories of 15-meg registry files back when I used windoze.
> Also, does it have to be called "Registry"?
> Just seems to me a bad idea to have user config data in the same place
> as system config data.

With lots of systems and hundreds of users this makes GOOD sense.

> Maybe each user gets their own registry, and the
> system has a separate registry? IMO, that would be MUCH more secure...

With GConf it currently works this way; and if your using GNOME your
using GConf which is a "registry" by just about any definition - just
run "gconf-editor"

> also, what other operating systems have a registry other than win9x/nt?

OS/X, they call it NetInfo.  UNIXes are the only OSs I know that don't,
and some do.  AIX does, its called the ODM (Object Database Manager, I
think) where a user is an object, a disk is an object, a print queue is
an object, etc...  This just makes sense.  "/etc/*" is a disaster from a
management point of view.