[KLUG Advocacy] New SuSe User

Bruce Smith advocacy@kalamazoolinux.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 19:48:18 -0400

Hamsun?  What is this, a contest of unusual middle names?
I'm not sure which is less common, Hamsun or Tauno.

Notice I didn't change my "from".
Mine doesn't stand a chance in this contest!   :-)

> Had some fun transferring my data from cyrus-imap's /var/spool/imap and
> getting it to work in suse.  Got confused when user directories were not
> placed under one of the 26 alphanumeric directories.  It is working
> now.  (Prefork=1) seemed to make the difference in getting the mta to
> work with it.

Note that SuSE installs postfix by default as it's MTA.
You have to manually select sendmail (and deselect postfix)
during the install or add/remove software.   (FWIW)

> All other hardware was found without issue.  Had to change to the scroll
> mouse though, not hard.

Yeah, it doesn't like my monitor at home.  Not in the database I guess.
It gave me some grief, and I had to manually add the option DPMS in
XF86Config to get power saving working.  But it's working fine now.

 - BS